21 April 2012

It's a Great Day to Be a Republican

Delegates & guests at the Utah State GOP Convention

The hallways of the convention center were aligned with thousands of campaign signs
I finally got to meet Governor Herbert

Today was the Utah State Republican Convention. I wasn't a delegate, but had the amazing opportunity to be a volunteer. I woke up at 5am this morning & made it to the convention center by 6:20am (truly, a Saturday miracle). I checked in with the volunteer booth and snagged my purple t, then headed over to my volunteer duty. I helped run 2 of the county elections. I checked credentials & counted ballots. I met some great people and love love loved being apart of the election process.
The first election (at 7:30am) was for a representative seat. The incumbent won the election & gave a great speech. His opponent was very heartfelt and sweet, but was very stuck on illegal immigration for 90% of his six minute speech.
The second election was for a state senator seat. Both of these men gave great speeches & had passion. Unfortunately, there was not a 60% majority, so both of the candidates have to keep campaigning and have a primary election in June. 
After the two elections I was let loose & was able to wander around the convention. I was able to meet candidates and hear their opinions. And after much stalking, I was able to find Governor Herbert's booth. I listened to him answer questions for about ten minutes, then made my move. He was happy to take a picture with me and I thanked him for all he does. Then I got a Herbert candidate button. Score. 
 Next, (of course) I wandered over to the Romney booth. He wasn't there. Supposedly his son Josh was, but I never saw him. I got a nice Romney sign & plenty of stickers. Maybe I'll put them over Obama 2012 bumper stickers. Hmmm. Have I ever mentioned how much I love Mitt? Oh, I have...well, I just don't want you to forget.

The best part of the State Convention was my realization. Over the past month or so I have been absolutely consumed in stress about what I want to do with my life. I'm 19...but I am finished with my general courses & needed to for sure decide on a major so I could register for classes this fall. Political Science has been my priority since last August, but for some reason I started doubting myself. Can I really do this? Will I be able to find a job? What would I do with this major? 
I've been stressed, and truly, I still don't have the answers to these questions. What will I do with a Political Science (american government) Major? Obviously I won't be the president, but maybe I could be a mayor or run a campaign. Or maybe I could be like my dad who has his major accounting & is a database architect. Meaning, do something that has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Or maybe I could work at the Utah Capitol. 
There are so many possibilities and opportunities.
The thing I do know, is that I love America. I love our republic & I love the electoral process. I truly want to serve this nation and be a part in continuing to make it great and strong. 
After much consideration & praying, I went ahead and registered for three political science courses next fall. I don't know what I want to be, but I sure know what I want to be about. 

1 comment: