31 August 2011

a Tid-Bit i forgot to share about the Public Bus

the public bus.

it is truly something i have experienced...however for multiple reasons including the preservation of my new beloved car, i'll be riding it for a while. my first day's bus ride goes as follows:

My dad and I planned out my whole route the night before school. I planned out what time I would leave the house, what time I would get to the station, and the route I would take to the station. I had my route 811 map handy and I was ready to go. (but most definitely nervous) When I woke up the morning of...my first day of college, my dad offered to ride over to the bus station with me to make sure I got there okay. (isn't he the greatest? answer. yes.) so we rode over so the sandy station. I saw a group of adults with backpacks on and my dad and I headed their direction. I tested out my student id/bus pass on a tap on-off machine outside the train, and with the confirmation that it was indeed working, my dad left me to get on trax.
my bus was about five minutes late.
not a big deal, but when you are standing around, with a bunch of strangers...it becomes a big deal.

I got to orem with plenty of time to spare.
then i went to classes. my last professor let us out of class about ten minutes early, so i decided to high tail it to the bus stop to make the 6:44 bus instead of the 7:05 bus i'll normally take.
You would not believe how fast my 33inch legs were moving...while looking at my watch. i guarantee people were frightened.
I made the bus.
BIG mistake.

This was the looney bus. no joke.
the bus was almost completely full, except for a couple seats in the front. I sat by a very, very old man. i'm talking like 82 to be exact. old.
across from us are the LOUDEST guys i've ever met. one has a i'm-traveling-the-world-as-a-free-spirit-back-packer-type-back-pack on. and the other has a harley t-shirt.
that was my first clue.
A lady with tattoos (relevant to the story) sits in the seat beside me with a white teenage Buddhist.
public transportation.

this odd group begins talking and of course, soon after they start ranting on about...mormons.
in utah county.
after talking about how stupid and weird they are the tattoo lady says she was kicked out of a mormon funeral because of her tattoo sleeve. this bugs the crap out of my so I roll my eyes and turn my head to the side to see a very nice looking, attractive man roll his eyes as well and smile at me. as the crazy people's mormon ranting continued the nice stranger and i continued rolling our eyes at their stupid comments and smiling at one another. they were so stupid. no joke.

then the tattoo lady and the Buddhist teenager get off. a drunk man stumbles on.
the drunk man catches his sleeve on a passenger's bike and starts a scene. he yells and cusses and starts fighting with the backpack man. the bus driver pulls the bus over and demands the drunk guys gets off the bus. he doesn't. the bus driver tells him multiple times to get off the bus and the drunk guys promises he'll "be good" the bus driver lets him stay on. he sits next to me, where tattoo lady once sat.
i'd rather have tattoo.
I make eye contact and exchange smiles with the nice stranger man again.

then the two loud mouths start talking about how cute my...FEET are. guess i shouldn't have worn sandals!
we make more stops and eventually the nice stranger gets off the bus. I look at him and he looks back. we make eye contact and both smile.
I made a friend on my first day. YAY!
too bad i never talked to him or learned his name.

I got off the bus. that was the adventure.
I guess it wasn't a small tid-bit like i said early, but it was an interesting experience.

oh ya, and the old man i sat next to, used to be a seminary teacher. he's now 82 and probably the cutest old thing i've ever seen.

the end.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. "I saw a group of adults with backpacks on"... I'm pretty sure my roommates could hear me laughing in their rooms when I read that.

    ReplyDelete